Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Ik ben van hier

I’m a local and I’m from here… well, it’s beginning to feel like it.

It’s been a while since my last post. But for good reason.

February is Carnival Time in most parts of Belgium; something to do with celebrating Lent … or something. Whatever the reason, the streets of many local towns have been lined with confetti, marching bands, men dressed as women, women dressed as men, kids dressed as aliens and policemen dressed as policemen. Awesome, see:





I had the fortune of experiencing a Carnival in one of East Flanders’ smaller towns; I had such a good time, and the entire experience has left me feeling like a local! Here’s why:

It all started off at a local night club; an evening to kick the Carnival Season off. My oh my. I’ve never seen anything like it.

The venue was decked out in 70’s dance-floor chiq. And this was after the “refit”. And trust me, they were not trying to be 70’s cool or anything. The décor just was… despite itself. It was 70’s cool by mistake. We’re talking mirrors and syncopated lights here, baby.

But that’s not it. You had to wait until the music started. When the locals began to dance. I tell you… every style of music, danced to by every type of person, in every possible dance style.

It was a menagerie of people (farmers, their daughters, the dude who ran the chippie down the road, his mom, her husband) dancing to their own beat to as many styles of music.

It had the kind of innocence and hyped anticipation that a high school dance had for me back in the day. It was awesome. Everyone just having good, honest, fun. And they pretty much didn’t care who you were or how you danced. Good and downright honest fun. I was sucked in and am now tainted for life. Loved it.

Levels of localness were heightened when – after a mere 11 months of intensive practice – I poured a glass of Duvel in the proper manner and achieved the acceptable amount of head; that is, with enough white stuff to cap Everest. See:



You see, for some strange reason, Belgians – one of the biggest brewing nations in the world – have figured out that drinking a beer with at least a few centimetres’ head, is a good thing. And they’ve told no-one else.

And as such, there is an incredible technique (well, I’ve found anyway) combing wrist twisting, angeled pouring and some inert chanting that allows you to pour the perfect glass of Duvel beer. And this was the weekend that it was perfected for me. I am such a local, now.

My local pub had also just started a sing-along night on Sundays. Most songs are in Flemish. True gems like “Dis altijd lente in de ogen van die tandaardsassisente” (It’s always Springtime in the Eyes of the Dental Hygeniest) and others. Just have to love the Flemish. If you don’t count the coughing, spitting and choking, I almost sound Flemish (and local), too.

Top cap it all off, the lady at my local Fruituur (chippy) complemented me on my Flemish. The very same lady that giggled at my first attempts at ordering chips some months ago.

Oh, what it is to be (almost) local.


P.S. Snow had also come to Antwerp. At last! As an African boy, I still revel in it! Though riding in it on my bike, I had a few small minor wipe-outs. Thankfully the snow broke my fall.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love to read how you blend in with the 'locals' Ryan - keep on posting!

Ryan said...

Thanks, Peter :-)

Enjoy reading your blog, too.

Think you need a column in the Sunday Papers.