Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Ex-pat Manifesto

Here's something I picked up on gapingvoid. I like it; it kind of embodies where my heart is at the moment. Hope you like it, too.

The Expat Manifesto:

  1. I live here because I want to. Just because I could be paid better for the same job back home does not give me the right to complain about it. In fact, just because anything at all is different here, I do not have the right to be rude about those whose country it really is (”the locals”).
  2. Having infinite patience means it goes on forever, or, no matter how long those *&#!@ locals take to process a form or fix the plumbing, I’m the only one that cares if I loose my patience.
  3. Even if I am conned, robbed, humiliated, lonely or homesick, it is worth remembering afterwards that I decided to step out of my comfort zone in the first place.
  4. It really doesn’t matter if I hang out with the locals or with other ex-pats, as long as I am happy…
  5. But those who continually complain about their new surroundings are to be avoided. It’s contagious.
  6. Wow, everything is… new… it’s not the same as where I came from! What a chance to stimulate my senses! I will take photographs, maybe write a blog or keep a diary, produce podcasts, videos - I’m enjoying the fact that my new point of view is necessarily different, I’m revelling in these new opportunities to feel creative!

No comments: