Monday, August 21, 2006

Days of Wonder...

And days of Thunder, too. Rain has come to Belgium. Well, they need the water for the beer, I guess. All is well, then.

Saturday was music fest Pukkelpop. Muddy, wet and cool. Truly fantastic. There was a bit of work involved. We’re experimenting with vlogs at work – and managed to film an interview with Coldcut. Hope to have the finished result, soon. But check out their website by the way for some live footage in the meatime.

There were some real treats at Pukkelpop. Oh my. Check out this band 65 Days of Static. It may not be your cup of tea... but see what you think:






Please take my word that seeing them live at Pukkelpop was amazing. For me – and I really enjoy most kinds of music – there are only a few bands or pieces of music that I think really elevates you to another place. I reckon its quite rare. It’s almost like a spiritual thing. It really touches your soul, I guess. And for me, it’s only happened a few times. When I saw Eddie Reader live. And Tori Amos. And then this band. And when I played in the Sunday School band many years ago. Don’t laugh. Serious. It’s like the composers know something. Or have switched onto something. Anyhow. I be still now.


Other highlights of the fest for me were local band Think of One – kind of like a Brazillian / Huckleberry mashup stylee. Cool. And of course the Coldcut performance. Nice one. Saw bits of Placebo on stage, too. Nice… but a bit of a tortured artist, methinks.


Tall Ships Races also hit Antwerp this weekend. The name is quite descriptive, so not much more help from me there. But beautiful. A couple of weeks ago I wanted to run away and join the circus. Now I want to run away and sail a Tall Ship. Even a short ship. A few years ago I went on a sailing holiday - one of the best I've had. More pics on my Flickr pages.



Walking along the Harbour looking at all the … tall ships, I stumbled across another concert. I tell you, over the past 4 months I;ve seen more live music in Antwerp than I have in the past year. Anyhow – perhaps a well known fact in Belgium, but new to me – was a R& B performer, Leki. I tell you, the lady has pipes. She really was fantastic. I bought her CD, too.

Just what are we going to do in the Winter?

1 comment:

CR said...

"We’re experimenting with vlogs at work."

Are we really? :)

Anyway, very nice experience to get behind the scenes on events like these, I also would have loved it. On the other hand I do prefer my concerts standing in the crowd. In the frontstage and backstage there's a sense of "work", kind of a neutral zone which has a rather alienating effect on me.