Monday, August 07, 2006

Laundry Day

I don'’t know. Am I getting old? I'’ve just whacked a Paul Simon CD on.

And don't know what'’s more shocking... The fact that I had a Paul Simon in my collection, or the fact that I willfully chose to play it.

What surprises me is that I actually like it. It's quite good. There have been a few toe taps, too. Please don't tell anyone.

Anyhow, back to the case in point. Laundry Day. I love it. Don't own a washing machine myself, so I use the Laundromat. That'’s not the part I love, though. The part I love is that there is a pub near to my Laundromat. So Laundry Day is Drinking Day. Well, every day is drinking day. But having an Official Day for it kind of makes it... official...… don'’t you think?

Anyhow, Sunday was Laundry Day. And after stuffing the month'’s washing (I'’m kidding) into the dirty (I'’m not kidding) washing machines, it was off to the pub. Only to be stopped in track by a fantastic parade along the streets. Guild clubs in full historic costume, drummers, pipe bands, flag tossers - I mean they were throwing flags in the air - I'’m not being rude - it was lovely. There was even an archery competition in Grote Markt.

Antwerp had even shut down the city centre to cars - it was car-free Sunday - Autovrij Antwerp. Lots of families about in the sun.

In other news, I've been reading Andy Monfried's blog, here. Andy has some interesting insights - you can really learn a lot. But also, some worthwhile insights on current events in Israel and the Lebanon. Have a look - what do you think? There's so much bias in the media, that I reckon you can only learn.

Oh, Andy has some rocking tastes in music. Check out his cracking photo of Sir Keith of the Stones (he'’s not really a Sir, but wouldn'’t it be a nice, Your Majesty?).

Though, I don'’t know if Andy will speak to me again after.... Paul.

I've added some new pics on Flickr, too. Here's one in honour of the city and folks of Antwerp.



Incidentally, there is an official Laundry Day here in Antwerp, too. Another music fest of sorts. I'’ll try make it and let you know how it goes.

Rock on, Paul. Yeah.

No comments: