Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Inside the Kit Kat Club

This past Saturday, I spent one of the most enchanting nights in Antwerp yet; in a small theatre, just off Lange Nieuwstraat.

Noordteater is currently the host to an Antwerpian play; De Zevende Hemel. A delightfully directed, local production of Jan Christeans’ story of a local pub of the same name.

I could have very well been in the Kit Kat Club of 1930’s Berlin. All but Liza was missing.

It was delightful as I had the pleasure of being a fly on the wall photographer, taking pics of the three principal character actors before, during and after Showtime. Nothing quite prepared me for the banter, intense concentration and preparation of the three… I am very grateful. Here are just a few of my photo's, with a few of my favourites below:







Even the after party – in full drag – was a sight to behold. Call me, and I’ll tell you all about it. I’m not quite Oscar Wilde, and therefore cannot describe it to you with the glamorous, witty and amusing attention to detail in prose that it deserves. So call, and I’ll tell you.

Back to the play. Although I understood almost nothing of the dialogue (it was thick Antwaarps dialect), it is a lovely story about the clients of a local pub; their lives and relationships.

It almost – almost – typifies Antwerp for me.

What’s more is that I’ve actually been to the pub of the same name; here in the Schippersquartier.

What a pub. Always open, with more interesting people than well, well... probably the Kit Kat Club. Perhaps that Club was, for some of them, their stamkroeg, in real life. Some of them may very well have performed there, too.

On a few occasions I’ve visited, but when I’ve thought I had more money than I actually did… and offered to buy everyone drinks, which was gratefully accepted. Only to find that I couldn’t pay for it. I’ve not done this once. But twice.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

An after party in full drag: I seem to be missing out on the best part of Antwerpen night life right in front of my door.

I really must make sure to visit your blog more often ;-)

BTW: you you locate the name/address of that quaint pub in the Scipperskwartier for me? I'm curious what I've been missed out on.

Ryan said...

Thanks, Peter.

Sure thing - it's called De 7de Hemel, and is on Oudemansstraat, heading into the Quarter (just off St Paulusplaats).

Umm... 'quaint' aint probably the best word to describe it. You'll see why.

Give me a bell if you'd like some back-up. And a coffee there. My treat.

Cheers,
R

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ryan, that's a most tempting offer - I noticed your mobile # so I won't hesitate to give you a call if I ever intend to visit.

I passed by the 7de Hemel quite often without ever intending to visit, and like you pointed out, a 'quaint' venue is not an appropriate label.

Actually, from the outside I did get the impression it was one of those bars were visiting alone was not always a wise decision :-)

Anonymous said...

Ryan and Peter I think you two will make a sweet couple lol.

Ryan said...

;-)

Listen, why the cloak and daggers.... why don't you leave your name?

Cheers,
Ry